There can be a lot of confusion about buying legal weed now with a medical marijuana card. While it’s not legal in all states, if you choose to buy weed online vs a dispensary, that’s a different story. It curates a lot of questions. Can you buy from another state? What restrictions are there (or aren’t there) if you have a card? The questions are pretty extensive but the main one is still: do you need a medical marijuana card to buy weed online?
Let’s check out the do’s and don’ts of what is allowed regarding online weed sales.
When You Need a Medical Marijuana Card
A medical marijuana card (MMID) is how many states (33 to be exact) have allowed for legal use of cannabis. A licensed physician is required to sign a form stating a recommendation to receive an MMID for an approved medical condition. Once signed by the physician, applying through the state for the medical marijuana card is the next step, which also includes paying a fee to apply and receive one.
As marijuana is still federally illegal, buying weed requires a medical marijuana card in order to consume and have it with you without facing criminal charges. You still have to be over 21 years of age to be approved for an MMID, unless it’s for treating a serious illness like cancer or epilepsy in underage individuals.
To buy from your local dispensary, you need a medical marijuana card and there are definitely benefits to having one even though there are costs to acquiring an MMID. However, differentiating between where you need to use your cannabis card, especially online, can get really confusing.
Here we sort out when your medical marijuana card is needed, and when it’s not required for buying weed online:
- You DO Need It For Weed Dispensary Websites. Some dispensaries offer local delivery within a certain distance from the location of the shop. Creating an account and inputting your MMID information will be required to purchase THC products.
- You DO Need It For Internal State Weed Dispensaries. Having a medical marijuana card in the state that you live in only allows you to buy cannabis within the limits of that state. You can NOT buy weed from another legal cannabis state, whether online or in person, and bring it into your state. It’s still federally prohibited to travel from one legalized state to another with cannabis. However, recently some states have begun to accept out-of-state MMJ cards for use when you’re buying for use right away.
- You Do NOT Need It For Recreationally Legal States. There are 13 states where recreational marijuana is legalized for 21 and over adults. No medical card is required to purchase cannabis in those states.
- You Do NOT Need It For Buying CBD Products Online. If you just want a CBD flower or oil or gummy, put away your MMID and purchase it normally. CBD is legal across all 50 states and does not have any restrictions on buying it online or from another state since it contains minimal levels of THC.
- You Do NOT Need It For Delta 8 THC. When cannabis was legalized in the Farm Bill 2018 under hemp-derived cannabis with a 0.3% Delta 9 THC content or below, Delta 8 THC blew up on the hemp market. (Delta 8 is considered 100% legal THC since it has a 0.3% or lower Delta 9 concentration.)
While it may seem odd that you can Buy Delta 8 online without a medical marijuana card, the answer lies in the lab reports. It’s a completely separate compound from Delta 9, though chemically they have similarities, it is in its own right a different variation of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and is only found in hemp-derived cannabis.
So, if you’re looking for true THC marijuana, your local dispensary is the only safe and reputable place to buy from. If you want a less potent high and no ordering restrictions for shipping cannabis around the US, then Delta 8 is the way to go. To ensure high-quality flower and various byproducts of Delta 8, make sure you choose a reputable online seller.
Check for third-party testing, descriptions of each strain or product, reviews, and clear shipping policies. While well-known brands are an option, quality is always questioned when supply and demand increase and their main focus is profit margins. Therefore, a site like ours is smaller, more direct to consumer, and offers a wide selection in less high volumes in order to deliver the best quality hemp-derived products for you.
Check out our latest Delta 8 catalog and enjoy the benefits of legal THC shipped right to your door. Our motto stands for itself when it comes to what Delta 8 THC feels like: Fly on the Perfect High!